Fri | Apr 28, 2017

UN, Red Cross alarmed over Yemen casualties in airstrikes

Published:Tuesday | March 31, 2015 | 3:01 PM

SANAA (AP):

The UN human rights office and the international Red Cross said they are alarmed by the high civilian causalities in the violence in Yemen, where airstrikes by a Saudi-led coalition have been targeting Shiite rebels since last week.

Yesterday's statement from Geneva said UN human rights staffers in Yemen have verified that at least 19 civilians died when airstrikes hit a refugee camp in northern Yemen, with at least 35 wounded, including 11 children.

There were different reports of casualty figures from recent strikes. The Houthi rebels said 40 people died while Doctors Without Borders tweeted that 29 people were killed.

The International Committee of the Red Cross is appealing to the parties in the conflict to allow delivery of medical supplies to the wounded.