Hundreds injured in Chinese container port explosion
BEIJING (AP) — Huge explosions at a container port in the northeastern Chinese city of Tianjin have injured at least 300 people, state media outlets and officials said Thursday.
Initial reports say seven people have been confirmed dead.
The state-run Beijing News said on its website that between 300 and 400 people had been admitted to hospitals in the city, east of Beijing.
It says the explosions shattered windows and knocked off doors of buildings in the area.
Police in Tianjin said an initial blast took place late Wednesday night in shipping containers at a warehouse for hazardous materials owned by a logistics company.
The official Xinhua News agency said an initial explosion triggered other blasts at nearby businesses.
The National Earthquake Bureau reported two major blasts before midnight, the first with an equivalent of 3 tons of TNT, and the second with the equivalent of 21 tons.
Photos circulating online show a gigantic fireball high in the sky, with a mushroom-cloud.
State broadcaster CCTV says six battalions of firefighters had brought the ensuing fire under control, although it was still burning.
It says the firefighters were combing the neighbourhood for possible injured residents.