Thu | Aug 24, 2017

6 officers fired for killing of two black people

Published:Thursday | January 28, 2016 | 1:00 AM
This May 23, 2015 file photo shows Michael Brelo weeping as he hears the verdict in his trial in Cleveland.

CLEVELAND (AP):

Cleveland officials said they are firing six police officers involved in a 137-shot barrage that killed two unarmed black people after a high-speed chase.

Those officers included Michael Brelo, a patrolman acquitted of manslaughter charges in May for having fired the last 15 shots of the barrage in East Cleveland on November 29, 2012. The chase began when officers standing outside police headquarters mistook the sound of a beat-up Chevrolet Malibu backfiring as a gunshot.

Six more officers who fired during the barrage face suspensions ranging from 21 to 30 days, said Public Safety Director Michael McGrath, the former police chief. A total of 13 officers had been notified they faced administrative discipline, and one of them has retired, McGrath said.

The president of Cleveland's largest police union, Steve Loomis, vowed to fight the discipline and said grievances appealing the firings were filed with the city on Tuesday. He described the firings as unbelievable, unprecedented and politically motivated.