US calls on political actors to uphold new agreement
The United States has called on all political actors in Haiti to support the agreement that averted a constitutional crisis in the French-speaking Caribbean Community (CARICOM) country after President Michel Martelly demitted office on Sunday.
"We trust that all actors will keep the best interests of Haiti and its people above all other considerations," said US Department of State spokesman John Kirby as he acknowledged the role of the special mission of the Organization of American States (OAS) in defusing the situation in the country.
Under the terms of the new agreement, Parliament will elect an interim president for a term of 120 days and confirm a consensus prime minister.
Continuation of the elections process to the second round will take place on April 24. The new president, elected by that process, will be installed on May 14, 2016.
Opposition parties had boycotted the January 24 second round of voting to choose a successor to Martelly after accusing him and the Provisional Electoral Council of planning to rig the polls in favour of the government-backed candidate, Jovenel MoÔse.
The opposition backed Jude CÈlestin, who had said that he would not participate in the second round of voting.
Kirby said that the United States was looking forward to continue working with Haiti and its international partners "in support of strengthening democracy in Haiti".
On Friday, the OAS said that the agreement for the peaceful transition of government in Haiti had been accomplished.
The mission chief, Sir Ronald Sanders, who is also chair of the OAS Permanent Council, said, "We wish the stakeholders every success as we encourage them to implement the formula for going forward."