Wed | Aug 16, 2017

Deported Residents-Subpoenas

Published:Thursday | March 3, 2016 | 3:00 AM
Arnold Giammarco, who was deported in 2012 because of criminal convictions, poses with his wife Sharon and daughter Blair in Rome, Italy.

CONNECTICUT, (AP):

Two Connecticut residents who were deported to Italy several years ago because of criminal convictions are asking the federal government for permission to return to the state to appear before state lawmakers, who subpoenaed them to testify about their experiences.

Paula Milardo, a former hairdresser, and Arnold Giammarco, a US Army veteran, both moved to Connecticut legally with their families when they were children in the early 1960s. Milardo was deported in 2011 because of a felony theft conviction. Giammarco was deported in 2012 because of convictions for drug possession and misdemeanor theft.

The co-chairmen of the legislature's Judiciary Committee subpoenaed Milardo and Giammarco last week to a hearing set for April 4 about how criminal convictions can affect immigrant families. On Monday, Milardo and Giammarco filed applications with the US Department of Homeland Security to return to Connecticut for the hearing.

Lawmakers want to know if there is anything they can do to prevent such deportations, said William Tong of Stamford, co-chairman of the Judiciary Committee.

"It seems that, on its face, these cases are extreme and unjust, but we need to explore it a little more," Tong said.