Aftershocks rattle Japan as deaths from quakes rise to 45
Japan's southern quake-hit area was rattled by a strong aftershock yesterday and searchers found a woman's body buried under landslide rubble, raising the death toll from the twin earthquakes to 45.
More than 100,000 evacuees, some sleeping in their cars and others in gymnasiums or community centres, were bracing for another chilly night. Many people are afraid to stay in their homes as aftershocks continued to shake the area on the southern island of Kyushu, including a 5.5-magnitude temblor yesterday afternoon.
Authorities were advising people staying in cars and shelters to move about to avoid developing deep-vein thrombosis, or blood clots that develop after being immobile for a long time. Japanese media reported that a 51-year-old woman from Kumamoto had died Monday from the condition.
At least 23 people have developed symptoms, Kyodo News service said. Saiseikai Kumamoto Hospital said yesterday it had diagnosed 10 cases, including two people in critical condition.
The area around Kumamoto was hit by two quakes just 28 hours apart late Thursday and early Saturday, triggering landslides that have blocked roads. The Fire and Disaster Management Agency said nearly 1,200 houses had been destroyed.
Nine people died in the first, magnitude 6.4 earthquake, and at least 36 died in the second one, which registered 7.3. About 1,100 have been injured.