Sun | Jan 21, 2018

Son of slain Louisiana man speaks out

Published:Thursday | July 14, 2016 | 12:00 AM
Cameron Sterling (centre), son of Alton Sterling who was killed by Baton Rouge police last Tuesday, speaks to the media outside the Triple S Food Mart, where his father was killed. At left is attorney Justin Bamberg and at right is attorney L. Chris Stewart. Sterling spoke out for the first time yesterday, calling his father a good man and asking people not to resort to violence after his death.

Son of slain Louisiana man speaks out


The 15-year-old son of a black man killed by Baton Rouge police spoke publicly for the first time yesterday, calling his father a good man and urging protesters not to resort to violence.

Cameron Sterling's father, 37-year-old Alton Sterling, was shot to death July 5 as two white officers pinned him to the pavement outside a convenience store. The killing was captured on cell phone video and circulated widely on the Internet.

"I feel that people in general, no matter what their race is, should come together as one united family," Cameron Sterling told reporters outside the store where his father died. The teen remained composed as he spoke, a contrast from a week ago when he broke down in sobs and had to be led away as his mother talked in front of television cameras about his father's death.

The son's comments came a day after the arrests of three people who are accused of stealing at least eight handguns from a pawnshop in what authorities said was a credible threat to harm police officers in the Baton Rouge area. The arrests came amid heightened tensions in the city following Sterling's death, the deadly police shooting in Minnesota and the killings of five police officers in Dallas last week.

Cameron Sterling urged protesters to remain peaceful.

"Yes, you can protest, but I want everyone to protest the right way," he said. "Protest in peace, not guns, not drugs, not alcohol, not violence."

Justin Bamberg, an attorney for Cameron and his mother, Quinyetta McMillon, said the family is pleased that the Justice Department is investigating but also hopes state Attorney General Jeff Landry's office "one day" will get involved.

In a statement Monday, Landry said he won't have access to details of the federal investigation until it's completed and a decision has been made on potential federal charges.