Government targets failed coup plotters
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan told the nation on Saturday that his government was working to crush a coup attempt after a night of explosions, air battles, and gunfire across the capital that left at least 17 dead and scores wounded, according to The Associated Press.
Government officials said the coup appeared to have failed as Turks took to the streets overnight to confront troops attempting to take over the country. However, the sounds of huge blasts continued to ring out in the capital, Ankara, and Istanbul throughout the morning, including a bomb that hit the parliament complex.
The Turkish government accelerated its crackdown on alleged plotters of the failed coup against President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, with the justice minister saying yesterday that 6,000 people had been detained in the investigation, including three of the country's top generals and hundreds of soldiers.