Manhunt underway for mall shooter in Munich, Berlin
A manhunt is underway for a shooter or shooters who opened fire at a shopping mall in Munich, killing and wounding several people, a Munich police spokeswoman says.
Munich police spokeswoman Claudia Kuenzel told The Associated Press there had been "several dead and wounded" in the shooting at Olympia Einkaufszentrum mall. She could not provide exact numbers.
"The shooter or shooters are still on the run" either in or around the mall, she said.
The Bavarian Interior Ministry confirmed at least one dead and multiple people hurt.
Munich police spokesman Thomas Baumann told German news agency dpa the attack started at a fast food restaurant in the mall shortly before 6 p.m. local time. He said police didn't know whether they were dealing with one or multiple shooters.
Public broadcaster Bayrischer Rundfunk reported that shops in the center of Munich had closed with customers inside. Munich police urged people to avoid public places. "The situation is still unclear," they said on Twitter.
Armin Fritz, a reporter for public radio B5, said the entire public transport system in Munich was shut down.
Police responded in large numbers to the mall in the northern part of Munich, not far from the city's Olympic Stadium in the Moosach district of the Bavarian capital.
It's the second attack in Germany in less than a week. On Monday, a 17-year-old Afghan wounded four people in an ax-and-knife attack on a regional train near the Bavarian city of Wuerzburg, and another woman outside as he fled. All survived, although one man from the train remains in life-threatening condition. The attacker was shot and killed by police.
The Islamic State group claimed responsibility for the train attack, but authorities have said the teen likely acted alone.