Prep school sued for kicking out student who had sex
CONCORD, New Hampshire (AP):
A New Hampshire prep school criticised for how it has handled a sexual misconduct and assault cases is facing a federal lawsuit from the parents of a 15-year-old boy, saying it was wrong to withdraw their son after he had sex with another student.
The lawsuit filed, August 30 by 'Father and Mother Doe' against Phillips Exeter Academy says school administrators at first told them their son, 'John Doe', would be placed on leave in the spring semester but could return this fall after meeting certain conditions, including seeking therapy.
The parents say administrators changed their minds and decided to withdraw him altogether as the school was responding to reports that it mishandled sexual assault allegations involving staff and students.
The case is the latest to beset the elite private school. Earlier this year, two teachers who worked at Phillips Exeter acknowledged sexual misconduct and a former admissions officer pleaded not guilty to sexual abuse charges. Police are investigating other accusations at the private school.
In response to the lawsuit, Phillips Exeter said in a court document filed on Wednesday that there wasn't any "contractual promise" that the boy would be allowed to return. The filing said the other student, a 15-year-old girl, is still a student at Phillips Exeter and the boy is enrolled in a public school in his home state.
The academy made "a difficult, but principled determination" that the boy violated its sexual misconduct and harassment policies," the school filing said.