Fri | Aug 18, 2017

At least 100 feared dead after mudslide

Published:Sunday | June 25, 2017 | 6:00 AM
Emergency personnel work at the site of a massive landslide in Xinmo village in Maoxian County in south western China yesterday.

 BEIJING (AP):

More than 120 people were buried by a landslide that caused huge rocks and a mass of earth to come crashing into their homes in a mountain village in southwestern China early yesterday.

The landslide, which came from a mountain, engulfed a cluster of 62 homes and a hotel in the village of Xinmo in Mao County at about 6 a.m. Officials said 1.6 kilometres (one mile) of road were buried in the disaster.

"It's the biggest landslide to hit this area since the Wenchuan earthquake," said an official leading one of the rescue efforts.

The official was referring to China's deadliest earthquake this century, a magnitude 7.9 temblor that struck Sichuan province in May 2008, killing nearly 90,000 people.

The provincial government said more than 120 people were buried by the landslide and cited a rescuer as saying 15 bodies had been found.

Rescuers pulled out three people, two of whom had survived, an official newspaper said on its microblog.

The paper also said a family of three, including a month-old baby, managed to escape just as the landslide started to hit their house.