Son of Nashville mayor dies of apparent drug overdose
The only son of Nashville Mayor Megan Barry - whom her office described as "a kind soul full of life" - has died of an apparent drug overdose, and she asked for privacy as she and her husband face life "without his laughter and love."
The office released a statement Sunday from Barry and her husband, Bruce, saying 22-year-old Max Barry died Saturday night in Denver.
"Early this morning, we received news that no parents should ever have to hear," the couple said. "Our son Max suffered from an overdose and passed away. We cannot begin to describe the pain and heartbreak that comes with losing our only child. Our son was a kind soul full of life and love for his family and friends."
Max Barry graduated in June from the University of Puget Sound in Tacoma, Washington.
"Our family would greatly appreciate your thoughts and prayers, and would respectfully ask for privacy as we mourn the loss of our child and begin to understand a world without his laughter and love in our lives," the statement said.