Weinstein pleads not guilty, released on bail
NEW YORK (AP) — Harvey Weinstein, who was previously indicted on charges involving two women, was released on bail on Monday while fighting sex crime accusations that now include a third woman.
“We fight these battles one day at a time, and today we won this round,” defense attorney Ben Brafman said outside court.
Brafman said during the arraignment that he expects more charges.
Weinstein pleaded not guilty after he was brought into the courtroom with his hands cuffed behind his back.
He was then uncuffed for the proceeding.
An updated indictment unveiled last week alleges the movie mogul-turned-#MeToo villain performed a forcible sex act on a woman in 2006.
The new charges include two counts of predatory sexual assault, which carries a maximum sentence of life in prison upon conviction.
Attorney Gloria Allred, who is representing the third woman, said outside court that her client will testify if the case goes to trial.
She said she doubts Weinstein’s lawyer would allow him to do the same because it would subject him to cross-examination by prosecutors.
Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus R. Vance Jr. said the 66-year-old Weinstein is charged with “some of the most serious sexual offenses” that exist under state law.
“Mr. Weinstein maintains that all of these allegations are false and he expects to be fully vindicated,” Brafman said.
More than 75 women have accused Weinstein.