Thu | Apr 2, 2020

Police use snake to terrorise man

Published:Monday | February 11, 2019 | 12:19 AM

JAKARTA, Indonesia (AP):

Indonesian police have acknowledged that officers terrorised a Papuan man with a live snake after a video of the incident circulated online showing the man screaming in fear and his interrogator laughing.

Police in Indonesia’s easternmost Papua region apologised but also attempted to justify the officers’ actions by saying the snake was not venomous and that they hadn’t resorted to beating the man, who was suspected of theft.

Human-rights lawyer Veronica Koman said yesterday that the interrogation methods were torture and violated police policies, as well as several laws. She said that it was only the latest of several reports of police and military using snakes to terrorise Papuan detainees and symptomatic of a culture of racism against indigenous Papuans.

Sam Lokon, a member of the West Papua National Committee, which advocates for independence from Indonesia, was put in a cell with a snake and also beaten after being arrested in January, Koman said.

Police indicated that the incident with the alleged thief happened recently during a crackdown on petty crime in Jayawijaya district.

‘Very rare’ apology

The spread of the video had forced police into a “very rare” apology, Koman said, while also criticising the attempt to provide a justification.

The one-minute-and-20 second video shows the dark-brown snake, at least two metres long, wrapped around the handcuffed suspect’s neck and waist and an officer pushing its head into the man’s face as he becomes increasingly hysterical.

Officers appear to be asking how many times he’d stolen cell phones.

Jayawijaya police chief Tonny Ananda Swadaya said the officers had been disciplined by being given ethics training and moved to other locations.

The events are likely to further inflame tensions in the region where an insurgency has simmered since the early 1960s when Indonesia took control of the western half of the island of New Guinea, formerly a Dutch colony.

Police and military have carried out a sweeping crackdown on independence supporters after rebel fighters in December killed 19 people working on a construction site for the trans-Papua highway.