Lawsuits in France claim government inaction on coronavirus
PARIS — Six lawsuits have been filed in France accusing the government of not acting quickly enough to stop the spread of the coronavirus.
A judicial official told The Associated Press on Thursday the suits were filed by individuals or groups seeking the prosecution of government ministers for manslaughter, putting people in danger or failing to help people in danger.
More than 1,300 people have died from the virus in France. More than 25,000 cases have been confirmed.
One case was filed by a 46-year-old man from the Paris region who contracted the virus, his lawyer told France-Info radio. It accuses the government of “stalling” as the virus spread around the world.
France imposed nationwide confinement measures last week, nearly two months after the first cases appeared in the country.
The lawsuits were filed with a special court for prosecuting government ministers. It will decide whether to take the cases.
Follow The Gleaner on Twitter and Instagram @JamaicaGleaner and on Facebook @GleanerJamaica. Send us a message on WhatsApp at 1-876-499-0169 or email us at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.