BRADES, Montserrat, CMC – Montserrat said that one of its nationals who has been in a detention centre in Jamaica since October last year had not identified himself as a Montserratian but a national of Antigua.
Director of Regional Affairs & Trade Claude Hogan who has returned from Jamaica where he had been negotiating the release of Kenrick Fenton said although Fenton had been in custody without any charges being laid against him since last October, Montserrat was unaware that he was in trouble.
Hogan said Fenton had not identified himself as a Montserrat national, but told officials he was from Antigua.
Fenton had been reported as lost at sea with six other fishermen from Antigua. He is expected to return to Antigua within the week once the Jamaican authorities complete his processing.
A government statement said that since December 21, last year, Hogan through the Office of the Premier and with the support of other local agencies worked with the British High Commission to confirm Fenton’s identification and begin the process to repatriate him to Antigua, where he now resides.
Tom Regan, the Acting Head of the Governor’s Office here, said that support from the British High Commission is available to Montserratians and British nationals no matter where they reside.
“This was a good example of team work between the Office of the Deputy Governor, Royal Montserrat Police Service, Office of Premier and Governor’s Office,” Regan said, noting that anyone travelling with a BOTC (British Overseas Territory Citizen) passport is entitled to exactly the same level of consular assistance from the nearest British Mission as a full British citizen.
“ A Montserratian imprisoned overseas can expect to receive a visit from their local consular official within 24 hours of the British mission being notified of the incarceration,” Regan said, noting that “the delay in the case of Mr Fenton was in large part because he did not identify himself as a Montserratian.”