Go-Jamaica Gleaner Classifieds Discover Jamaica Youth Link Jamaica
Business Directory Go Shopping inns of jamaica Local Communities

Lead Stories
Profiles in Medicine
More News
The Star
Financial Gleaner
Overseas News
The Voice
Hospitality Jamaica

1998 - Now (HTML)
1834 - Now (PDF)
Find a Jamaican
Power 106FM
News by E-mail
Print Subscriptions
Dating & Love
Free Email
Submit a Letter
Weekly Poll
About Us
Gleaner Company
Contact Us
Other News
Stabroek News

Waterhouse lift COK Champions Cup
published: Wednesday | May 14, 2008

Ainsley Walters, Freelance Writer

WATERHOUSE yesterday triumphantly returned to Harbour View, the scene of their abandoned Jackie Bell Knockout final to take the bigger prize, the City of Kingston Champions Cup, with a 2-0 victory over arch-rivals Tivoli Gardens.

Determined to end the season with at least one major trophy after finishing fifth in the Premier League and losing the Jackie Bell title in the boardroom,Waterhouse lifted the title with goals in either half from Roberto Fletcher and Kenardo Forbes.

Waterhouse grabbed the lead in the 32nd minute when Roberto Fletcher headed past Edsel Scott off a perfectly weighted right-sided cross from Kirk Ramsey.

The men from Drewsland got their clincher in the 89th on a counter attack as Tivoli pressed forward in search of an equaliser to send the game into extra time.

Kenardo Forbes, who had a splendid game in midfield, got a through pass and went on a searing run from near half-line on the left side.


The 20-year-old, former Bridgeport High Manning Cup winner, bore down on Tivoli captain Kasai Hinds, cut inside the sweeper and buried a right-footer to the back post from 12 yards with goalie Edsel Scott well beaten.

Ironically, Waterhouse ensured Tivoli completed the season without a trophy, beating them for the second time in a final after edging the men from west Kingston 1-0 in the second round final of the Premiership.

Tivoli missed the all-important opening chance after 15 minutes when Orane Simpson left a defender sprawling on the left side of the box but the onrushing Horace Howell turned the square wide of goal from the edge of the six-yard box, totally lacking composure.

Waterhouse punished Tivoli for missing what should have been the opening goal when Fletcher elegantly headed past Scott after the hard-running Ramsey raced down the flank and sent over the perfect cross.


Tivoli's other chance of the half came in the 35th minute but Steve Green's shot from distance brushed the crossbar to end the half at 1-0.

Down a goal, Tivoli came out roaring after the break with midfielder Damion Gordon twice taking attractive shots from distance.

Waterhouse got their chances to finish off Tivoli especially through striker Leon Strickland, who twice missed one-on-one chances against Scott.

With 10 minutes left, Fairclough locked shop, pulling his goalscorer, Fletcher, replacing him with Stone.

Tivoli smelled blood and pressed forward in numbers. However, Waterhouse broke smartly from one of their attacks and Forbes made no mistake with an attractive finish in front technical director Rene Simoes.

Fairclough send his team needed a bit of luck after playing badly in the last half of the Premiership.

"We did our best today and won the silverware up for grabs," he said.


(Roberto Fletcher 32nd, Kenardo Forbes 89th)

Tivoli 0

More Sport

Print this Page

Letters to the Editor

Most Popular Stories

© Copyright 1997-2008 Gleaner Company Ltd.
Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Letters to the Editor | Suggestions | Add our RSS feed
Home - Jamaica Gleaner