Bookmark Jamaica-Gleaner.com
Go-Jamaica Gleaner Classifieds Discover Jamaica Youth Link Jamaica
Business Directory Go Shopping inns of jamaica Local Communities

Home
Lead Stories
News
Business
Sport
Commentary
Letters
Entertainment
Social
More News
Power 106 News
The Star
Financial Gleaner
Overseas News
The Voice (UK)
Communities
Hospitality Jamaica
Google
Web
Jamaica- gleaner.com

Archives
2005 - Now (HTML)
1834 - Now (PDF)
Services
Find a Jamaican
Careers
Library
Power 106FM
Weather
Subscriptions
News by E-mail
Newsletter
Print Subscriptions
Interactive
Chat
Dating & Love
Event Guide
Free Email
Guestbook
ScreenSavers
Submit a Letter
Video
WebCam
About Us
Advertising
Gleaner Company
Contact Us
Other News
Stabroek News



Tests on despite attacks in Mumbai
published: Friday | November 28, 2008

BHUBANESWAR, India (AP):

THE BOARD of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) vice-president Lalit Modi said yesterday that his country's two-Test series against England will go ahead despite terrorist attacks in Mumbai.

After the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) announced that it was still considering whether to abandon the tour because of security concerns, Modi said the only change to the schedule would be to move the second match from Mumbai to another venue in the south of the country.

Security briefings

The teams were set to play the first Test in Ahmedabad from December 11, with the second match due to start on December 19 in Mumbai, which was hit by overnight attacks that killed more than 100 people.

"The tests are going on," Modi said. "Definitely."

ECB managing director Hugh Morris said that he had discussed the situation with the players and hoped to make an announcement later in the day following more security briefings.

"It's an evolving situation and we are taking security advice from a number of sources," Morris said at a news conference.

Morris denied that the ECB had already asked the BCCI to call off the Tests, although the bodies have already agreed to postpone the last two one-day matches in Guwahati and New Delhi. India lead the seven-match series 5-0.

"We have to see if it is practical and possible to reschedule that," Modi said.

Waiting for go-ahead

England had been set to stay at Mumbai's Taj Mahal Palace hotel, which was targeted in the attacks, ahead of the second Test.

"Whenever England go to play cricket we have security advice and we act on that advice," Morris said. "If the security advise us it is safe and secure for players and management to go, that is what we will do."

Morris said that the second-string performance squad, which includes former captain Michael Vaughan, will fly back to England immediately.

"They were due to spend a period in Bangalore before they moved on to Mumbai," Morris said. "Clearly that is not possible."


More Sport



Print this Page

Letters to the Editor

Most Popular Stories





© Copyright 1997-2008 Gleaner Company Ltd.
Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Letters to the Editor | Suggestions | Add our RSS feed
Home - Jamaica Gleaner