Gloss on the go
Published: Monday | June 8, 2009
For some time now, lipgloss has replaced lipsticks in many cosmetic bags and purses. For some women, leaving home without at least one lipgloss makes them feel partially naked.
In most cases, they serve as moisturisers to avoid dryness, as well as to make them look more attractive. But they serve other purposes.
You browse through a store and you see them in every colour and type you can think of. Almost instantly, you are in a tug of war to narrow your choices.
Each type of lipgloss serves a purpose and is quite effective in bringing together a certain look. Some of the numerous types on the market include shimmer, shiny, cream, long-last and even the lip plumping gloss.
Recently, professional make-up artist Paul March demonstrated how lipgloss can be used to achieve subtle or bold looks for your lips.
Lips glossed for any occasion
Below are some of March's tips on using lipgloss.
1. If you have full lips, stay away from bright colours like red. It is advisable to use natural colours and clear gloss.
2. If you have small lips, use a lipliner and line the lips beyond the natural lipline. For fuller lips, the reverse is done to create the illusion of smaller lips.
3. If you have discoloured lips, foundation can be used to conceal the discoloration.
4. If you are going to play up your lips, go light on eye make-up.
5. After applying lipgloss, don't press lips together.
Paul March's contact: 840-5420
Model: Suwain Ayee
Lightpink for daytime - A light pink gloss is ideal for daytime wear.
Shimmerbronze for evening - Lips are outlined with a lipliner then the shimmer bronze lipgloss is applied to the inner parts of the lips. This look is perfect for day but can also be worn in the evening. - Photos by Norman Grindley/Chief Photographer
Extraglossypop for nighttime - Lipgloss can also give lips that extra pop when lipstick is applied. After applying lipstick, lip gloss can be added to the inner part of the lips. Be careful not to apply too much as greasy lips are not hot. This look is ideal for the night.