China celebrates sixty big ones!
Published: Sunday | October 18, 2009
Photos by Winston Sill/Freelance Photographer
Daviot Kelly, Staff Reporter
Such is the mystique and popularity of the People's Republic of China, that the celebrations of its 60th anniversary just keep coming.
The latest was hosted by the Jamaica China Friendship Association (JCFA) on Sunday October 11 at the exquisite Jade Garden Restaurant.
President of the association Fay Pickersgill saluted China's significant and amazing milestone and called China's journey a remarkable story. She reaffirmed that "China has an honourable place in the history of Jamaica". Chinese Ambassador Chen Jinghua expressed pride at his homeland. He said China and Jamaica provided a model of reciprocity and they were true neighbours despite not being next door.
Patron of the JCFA, Governor General Sir Patrick Allen, said that China had cemented its place in the annals of history. He lauded the emphasis placed on strong family values, discipline, unity and youth development and said China was a model for the rest of the world to observe. In contrast, he lamented the move away from the family that has plagued Jamaica recently and asked that we restore the fundamental principle of the family and use it as a building block.
Entertainment was provided by the excellent Dwight Richards, in collaboration with Maria Myrie and Chris McDonald. Their repertoire included everything from soul to folk and even a little rock 'n' roll thrown in before ending with The Prayer.
Guests out included Leo and Irena Cousins; Ambassador Madge Barrett and husband, Arthur; Herman McLarty and wife, Dorothy; Norman and Jean Wright; Norma Harrack; Wayne Chen; Carmen Patterson; Sybil N'Toutoume; Derrick and Thyra Heaven; Lorna Green; David Wong-Ken; Ena Wong Sang; Olive Lyn and Radley Reid.
1. President of the Jamaica China Friendship Association, Fay Pickersgill (centre), welcomes Governor General Sir Patrick Allen (left) and Lady Allen (second left). Looking on are Chinese Ambassador Chen Jinghua and Vilma Baugh.
2. Vilma Baugh, wife of Deputy Prime Minister Dr Ken Baugh (centre), has the attention of Governor General Sir Patrick Allen.
3. Professor Anthony Chen (left) raps with Chinese Ambassador Chen Jinghua (centre) and Deputy Prime Minister Dr Ken Baugh.
4. Deputy Prime Minister Dr Ken Baugh (centre) is literally in the middle of things at the Jamaica China Friendship Association banquet. Hobnobbing with him are (from left) Fay Pickersgill, president of the association; Chinese Ambassador Chen Jinghua; Wilson Look-Kin, president of the Chinese Benevolent Association, and his wife, Delores.
5. Tony Pickersgill (centre) makes a point to Irena Cousins and Gregory Hugh-Sam at the Jamaica China Friendship Association banquet.