Sun | Sep 25, 2016

WICB was ready to drop QP

Published:Monday | January 11, 2010 | 12:00 AM

ST JOHN'S, Antigua (CMC):

Ernest Hilaire, chief executive officer of the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB), disclosed that the regional governing body would have been left with no choice but to act decisively and move two upcoming fixtures to other venues, if a concert by music megastar Beyoncé had been staged at the ground on February 18.

"The WICB's position is quite clear," Hilaire said in a media release. "QPCC is the authorised body that provides permission for the use of the Queen's Park Oval, and can provide permission to the organisers of the concert, if it so decides.

"The WICB has indicated that if permission is granted to host the Beyoncé concert, the WICB will move the first-class match to another venue in Trinidad."

Potential embarrassment

Hilaire added the WICB's greatest concern about the staging of the concert was that Queen's Park Oval is scheduled to stage a Twenty20 International between West Indies and Zimbabwe on February 28.

"After the experience of the Vivian Richards Cricket Ground, where the entire region was embarrassed and subjected to a penalty from the ICC, the WICB is not anxious to expose itself to any potential embarrassment and chastisement," he said.