Thu | May 23, 2019

Wayne Chen, Lees enter wireless broadband market

Published:Friday | July 30, 2010 | 12:00 AM
Wayne Chen, chief executive officer of SuperPlus Food Stores and director of Dekal Wireless Jamaica Limited. - File

Mark Titus, Business Reporter

A group of Jamaican businessmen of Chinese lineage, including Wayne Chen, have entered the wireless broadband market and have set sight on target markets in under-served rural districts not reached by the any of the top four telecoms.

Dekal Wireless Jamaica Limited does business with Flow Jamaica, a triple play operator in the process of building out its national network under licence from the Broadcasting Commission, and a company co-owned by Chen's half brother, billionaire investor Michael Lee Chin.

Flow refers to Dekal as a customer but did not respond to requests for clarification by pre3ss time on the nature of the arrangement, which appears to include usage of its bandwidth.

Dekal, which declined comment for this story, has been running full page press advertisements for its service, which it has rolled out in eight rural parishes.

"I have contacted the principals of Dekal Wireless and they would rather not make any public statements at this time," said Chen. "However, they will contact you in the near future with a detailed presentation on the business," he told the Financial Gleaner.

The company's operation is in Portland, but was incorporated in February 2006 as a management consultancy with registered offices in Kingston.

Two Chinese nationals initially held all 1,000 of Dekal's issued shares — Li Guk Hen with 90 per cent and businesswoman Xie Wenfei with the other 10 per cent — both of whom transferred their ownership in 2008, according to Companies Office records.

All of Dekal's shares are now held in a company called Super Wifi Technology Limited, an offshore corporation registered in Tortola, British Virgin Islands.