Hardware ordered to leave Falmouth Port
Barrington Flemming, Gleaner Writer
The Port Authority of Jamaica (PAJ) has given the operator of Better Price Hardware a three-week ultimatum to vacate premises on Lower Harbour Street, Falmouth, to facilitate the sewage-treatment plant for the Falmouth Port.
The Gleaner understands that hardware operator Lancelot O'Connor has agreed to relocate the business.
"He was given the (notice) letter on Monday, and was advised that he has three weeks to vacate the premises," PAJ Chief Executive Officer Noel Hylton told The Gleaner on Thursday.
The businessman is said to have erected a building on land owned by the commissioner of lands. The property was later acquired by the PAJ for the installation of the sewerage plant to serve the multibillion-dollar development.
Falmouth Mayor Colin Gager said O'Connor has begun authorised construction of a building on Foreshore Road in Falmouth, but he was unaware if it would be completed in time for the hardware operator to relocate there.
Hylton said the National Environment and Planning Agency has approved the construction of the plant, which has been ordered from an overseas company.
"It has been ordered, but it has not yet arrived. As soon as it has arrived, we will be going ahead with the construction," he told The Gleaner.
Hylton said that upon full implementation, the sewage-treatment plant will be fully maintained by the PAJ.
Gager said the Trelawny Parish Council was satisfied with the pace of the work on the port, citing that the lead contractors E. Pihl and Son have assured him that the project would be finished in time to welcome the first vessel from the Holland America Cruise Line in November.
"So far, we are satisfied with the way things are going and have no doubt that things will be finished in time for the arrival of the first vessel," he added.
Work on the Falmouth Port started in 2008 and will include Jamaican restaurants and cafés, boutiques, craft markets, offices and residences, as well as attractions and other points of interest within walking distance.
The Falmouth mayor also highlighted that the council is now poring over 14 applications from the PAJ seeking approval for the construction of other structures at the project site.