Suspended sentence for Fray's dad
Christopher Thomas, Gleaner Writer
WESTERN BUREAU: THE FATHER of would-be hijacker Stephen Fray was given a suspended sentence for being negligent in causing loss or theft of his firearm, in the Montego Bay Resident Magistrate's Court, St James, yesterday.
The sentence handed down to 51-year-old Earl Fray was suspended for two years, and his firearm licence was permanently revoked.
Resident Magistrate Vivienne Harris in October found Fray guilty of negligence.
"A sentence which would incarcerate you would not be helpful. You are not a threat to society," Harris declared, in handing down her ruling.
The elder Fray's licensed .38 Smith & Wesson revolver was used by his son, Stephen, to take 160 passengers and the crew of CanJet airline flight 918 hostage at Sangster International Airport on April 19 last year. The younger Fray was subsequently convicted for the crime.
During the sentencing hearing, attorney Martyn Thomas asked the judge not to impose a custodial sentence on the elder Fray.
"He has lost his son (Stephen), and it is taking its toll on him," the lawyer said of his client.
RM Harris told the elder Fray that, in her reading of his social enquiry report, she noted he had no previous convictions and was a man well up in age.
Stephen Fray was found guilty on eight of 10 gun-related charges last September.
He was sentenced to 83 years in prison and is currently serving a maximum of 20 years, as the sentences are running concurrently.