Wed | Apr 25, 2018

Passport application for married women - what you should know

Published:Friday | February 4, 2011 | 12:00 AM

I got married two months ago and would like to add my married name to my passport. How can I go about this?

Congratulations on your marriage! Please note that the addition of your new name will not be possible on your current passport. If you desire to have your passport in your married name, then you will have to acquire a new passport, even if the current one has not yet expired.

To apply for a renewal of your passport, you will need to present your marriage certificate, along with your application form. In fact, any married woman who is applying for a passport must present a certified copy of her marriage certificate, whether she is applying for the first time, or renewing her document. Please note that the marriage officer's copy is not accepted.

If, however, she wishes to apply in her maiden name, she is not required to present her marriage certificate. Please note, also, that women who are divorced but applying for their passport in their married name, may present a decree absolute (the final judgement) in lieu of a marriage certificate. However, widowed or divorced women who wish to apply for a passport in their maiden name, are not required to present a marriage certificate or decree absolute.

Other requirements for renewal of your passport include your old passport, your birth certificate and two colour, passport-sized photographs. Make sure only one of the photographs is certified and that this is done by the same person who is certifying your application form.

Application forms are now available on our website at The cost for renewal of an adult passport is $4,500.

I am a medical student studying in another Caribbean island. however, I wish to do my clinical rotations with the Clinical Sciences Department at the University of the West Indies in Jamaica. I have a Nigerian passport with a student visa for the island in which I currently reside. Do I need a student visa to travel to Jamaica? If I need one, how do I get it?

You would need an entry visa to travel to Jamaica and not a student visa, as we do not issue student visas to persons wishing to study on the island. You can obtain the entry visa at the nearest Jamaican Mission office. Upon your arrival in Jamaica, you need to visit the Passport, Immigration and Citizenship Agency (PICA) at 25c Constant Spring Road in St Andrew or at our office in Montego Bay at Overton Plaza, 49 Union Street, and apply for an extension of stay as a student. This must be done within the time given at the port of entry. You need to be able to provide proof that you will be studying at the University of the West Indies, such as an acceptance letter.