What to do with all that lettuce
With the boom in production from our farmers, there is plenty of produce out there. If you happen to be in possession of more lettuce than you know what to do with, try these three recipes.
Sweet and Sour Lettuce Salad
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
1 round head lettuce
1 cup water
2 tsps salt
3 tbsps sugar
6 tbsps vinegar
1. Separate and wash lettuce leaves. Place in large bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, mix water, vinegar, sugar, and salt. The mixture can be adjusted a bit according to your taste.
3. Pour over lettuce. Use your hands to mix the lettuce well with the liquid.
4. Let sit for 20 to 30 minutes at room temperature. Refrigerate.
NOTE: The salad tastes better after a day of sitting in the refrigerator.
Cream of Lettuce Soup
2 cups water
2 cups milk
1/2 onion (sliced)
2 tbsps butter
1 bunch of lettuce
3tbsps cold water
1. Clean the lettuce and chop it finely.
2. Heat a pan with 2 cups of water. Add the chopped lettuce to this.
3. Now put the onions, sugar and salt and mix well.
4. Cook on low heat for around 20 minutes.
5. Take a separate pan and boil milk in it.
6. Mix the cornstarch with cold water and add to the boiling milk.
7. Keep stirring and cook until the milk becomes slightly thick.
8. Now add the cooked lettuce and mix well. Add butter and then remove from the stove.
9. Season it according to your taste before serving.
Wilted Leaf Lettuce
2 large bunches leaf lettuce
salt and pepper
2 green onions, chopped
4 slices bacon, chopped
1/4 cup vinegar
1 hard cooked egg, chopped
Shred lettuce into hot bowl; add salt, pepper, sugar and onions. Fry bacon until crisp; add vinegar and water; heat and pour over lettuce. Toss until wilted and sprinkle egg over top (or place lettuce in frying pan and toss until wilted).
Winter onions may be substituted for green onions. Serves 5.