GUY'S HILL High School, St Catherine, which is to celebrate its 40th anniversary this year, will this weekend host a week-long reunion - the first in the school's history.
The reunion will begin with a homecoming dance on Saturday and will culminate on August 6 with a fun day. The school's alumni association will also be launched during the week of activities.
Renaldo Garriques, past student and event planner, said the idea for a reunion originated during a meeting with other past students last year.
Garriques told The Gleaner that the idea has gained traction via social networks such as Facebook among past students, including those overseas who have bought tickets to attend the event.
He noted that the alumni association formed from this reunion, will propel the school to greater levels of achievement, as it will work on the school's behalf to garner the resources and funds needed to assist the institution's various programmes, such as track and field, music, home economics, and art and craft. The association will also create a scholarship and development fund.
The school currently has a student body of approximately 1,200 students and more than 30 staff members. It has an estimated 22,000 past students; a number of them have maintained contact with the school and have contributed funds and resources in many areas.
- Sean Rhoden
List of activities
1. Guy's Hill Homecoming dance - July 30.
2. Launch, church service - July 31.
3. Registration of members for alumni association - August 1-2, (including games and competitions such as football, netball, cricket, etc).
4. Anniversary dinner and honouring service - August 3.
5. Cookout on 'D' River - August 4.
6. General meeting (including election of alumni association president) and games evening (board & interactive games) - August 5.
7. Fun day and after party 'Time Travels on the Wings of Music' - August 6.