Mon | May 21, 2018

Best friends die in car crash

Published:Thursday | July 28, 2011 | 12:00 AM
Passers-by inspect parts of the wreckage from a fatal motor vehicle accident on Trafalgar Road in St Andrew. - Norman Grindley/Chief Photographer
Scraps left behind from a fatal motor vehicle crash on Trafalgar Road in St Andrew early yesterday morning which left two young men dead. - Norman Grindley/Chief Photographer

Glenroy Sinclair, Assignment Coordinator

D'Angelo Young and Dayne Lawson have been inseparable friends since childhood and not even death could separate them. Yesterday the two perished in a fiery motor vehicle accident in St Andrew.

D'Angelo, 22, who was on holiday from Barry University in Florida, United States, had on Tuesday night gone with friends to an event on Waterloo Road in St Andrew. It is alleged that he was the driver of his mother's blue Subaru Legacy motor car. His best friend, also 22, was sitting beside him in the front passenger seat.

In the back was Dayne's younger cousin, Daniel Lawson, who up to yesterday afternoon remained hospitalised in critical condition.

The accident occurred near the intersection of Braemar Avenue and Trafalgar Road, not far from Waterloo Road. The car in which the three young men were travelling reportedly crashed into a wall when D'Angelo lost control after hitting a hump in the road on Trafalgar Road.

"The impact was so severe that the engine dislodged and the doors flew off. Dayne was flung from the vehicle," said a family friend who visited the scene.

According to the family friend, a security guard who witnessed the incident used his phone and the chip from a mangled cellular phone belonging to one of the men to call persons listed as contacts and inform them about the accident.

"D'Angelo and Dayne grew up together. They never leave out each other at all. They were best friends and since he came on holidays, he and Dayne have been up and down. But Dayne is dead and my life is over now," an emotional Douglas Lawson told The Gleaner yesterday, shortly after viewing his son's body at the morgue.

'Full blast'

Senior Superintendent Radcliffe Lewis, head of the Police Traffic Department, said speeding was the main cause of the accident.

"We will also be taking blood samples of the deceased to establish if they were drinking," he said.

Lewis said a second motor car believed to be involved in the accident was in police custody.

He said that the car has a dent and the driver, a 21-year-old male from Stony Hill, St Andrew, who turned himself in, has told investigators it was hit by the other vehicle.

Lewis said police investigators have eyewitness accounts indicating that the two cars were going at "full blast" along Trafalgar Road moments before the accident occurred.