Tue | Jun 19, 2018

St George's thrash Calabar 5-0

Published:Wednesday | October 26, 2011 | 12:00 AM
St George's College's (StGC) Romario Jones (centre) kicks the ball into the Calabar goal after it had already crossed the goal line, as Calabar players Chevawine Nugent (right) and Kurtice Williston react, during the semi-final of the ISSA/Gatorade/Digicel Walker Cup KO competition at the Constant Spring Sports Complex yesterday. StGC won 5-0. - Ian Allen/Photographer
  • Win sets up all-North St battle for KO title

Robert Bailey, Gleaner Writer

Kendon Anderson flourished as he netted a spectacular first-half hat-trick to lead St George's College (StGC) to a 5-0 thrashing of Calabar High, in the semi-final of the Inter-Secondary Sports Association (ISSA)/Gatorade/Digicel Walker Cup competition at the Constant Spring Sports Complex yesterday.

The speedy and skilful Anderson was on target for the 'Light Blues' in the first, 10th and 14 minutes, stretching his tally of goals for the season to 17. Ryan Miller (23rd) and national Under-17 player Andre Lewis (70th) were the other scorers for StGC.

StGC will face North Street rivals Kingston College (KC) in the final. The Trevor 'Jumpy' Harris-coached KC recorded a hard-fought 1-0 win over Camperdown in the other semi-final.

KC goal

National Under-17 representative Romario Williams netted the lone goal for KC in the 34th minute.

"It is a wonderful feeling to score three goals against a top team like Calabar," said an elated Anderson.

"I am very happy because my aim for this season is to score 25 goals and I am now on 17, so I just have to continue working hard to achieve this," said 17-year-old Anderson, who represents Cavalier in the youth leagues.

Played in front of a packed house, StGC came out firing in the first half, as they took the lead in the opening seconds, when Anderson latched on to a poor back pass by Calabar defender Chevawine Nugent to fire past custodian Richard Chambers.

Calabar's troubles worsened two minutes later as defender Bachang Gordon was shown a straight red card, after denying Lewis a clear scoring opportunity.


StGC quickly capitalised on the one-man advantage as Anderson netted his second goal nine minutes later, then completed the hat-trick when he wheeled his way past two Calabar defenders, before calmly slotting past Chambers.

Neville 'Bertis' Bell, the StGC coach, was happy with his team's performance, but surprised by the margin of victory.

"We didn't expect to win 5-0, but I thought we played well and I am happy for that," said Bell.

"I think that the difference was that we scored early and the red card would have hurt them. But I thought we started well and didn't allow them to settle into their stride," Bell added.

Calabar's coach, Mavin Tate, was very disappointed.

"It was one of those games that we had everything going against us," said Tate. "Losing a man early really affected us and the calls weren't going our way, and they certainly didn't play the way I expected them to."

Tate added: "We looked lethargic on the field, and having gone behind so early and losing a man, any top-class team would have wilted under the pressure."