Mon | Jun 25, 2018

Tivoli's Bailey banned, fined $50,000 by KSAFA

Published:Sunday | March 11, 2012 | 12:00 AM

Robert Bailey, Sunday Gleaner Writer

Tivoli Gardens' head coach, Glendon 'Admiral' Bailey, has been slapped with a four-match ban and a $50,000 fine by the Kingston and St Andrew Football Association (KSAFA) disciplinary committee for a verbal attack against match officials, during the KSAFA Jamaica Yellow Pages Jackie Bell semi-final between his team and Arnett Gardens.

Bailey has also been handed a one-year suspended sentence for the infringements which took place at the match at the Edward Seaga Sports Complex on February 6.

Tivoli's assistant coach, Alvin Shaw, and players Christopher Nicholas, Damion Gordon, Ranike Anderson and Kemar Flemmings were also penalised following a meeting between Tivoli officials and the disciplinary arm of KSAFA last Tuesday.

Bailey was found guilty of violent conduct, use of indecent language and openly inciting hatred and violence towards match officials, during his team's 3-2 defeat.

At the end of the first half of the game, Bailey launched a tirade against the officials, which contained some very colourful language and went on for nearly five minutes. Bailey resumed his assault and continued using foul language to the match officials upon their return for the second half.

Referee Kevin Thomas then ejected Bailey, which led to an approximate delay of seven minutes when the coach refused to leave the technical area.

Police formed a ring around the officials after the game, as they stood in the middle of the pitch for nearly 20 minutes, waiting for an angry backlash from spectators to subside.

Team bus stoned

Arnett Gardens' team bus was also stoned by angry Tivoli supporters.

Shaw received a two-match ban and was fined $10,000; defender Anderson was slapped with a four-match ban and fined $5,000; Flemmings and Gordon were each given a strong warning; while Nicholas was reprimanded by the committee.

When contacted last Friday, KSAFA's President Rudolph Speid told The Sunday Gleaner that more action would be taken against the club.

"Yes, we will be taking more action against them because there is the incident of the Arnett Gardens bus being stoned and the referee was also stoned," said Speid.

"There is also the charge of unidentified aggressors, and if we don't find who is responsible for the stone throwing, then the club's captain will be charged for that," Speid added.

Efforts were made by The Sunday Gleaner to get a comment from Tivoli Gardens' Brian Rose but all calls to his mobile phone were directed to his voicemail.