PNP yet to respond to Michael Troupe gun charge
THE PEOPLE'S National Party (PNP) late yesterday back-pedalled on an earlier promise to issue a release on the party's response to the illegal possession of a firearm charge against deputy mayor of Montego Bay, Michael Troupe.
Deputy general secretary of the party, Julian Robinson, had indicated that the party would put out a statement yesterday on the latest development in the Troupe saga.
However, Robinson said the party would now issue a response following a meeting today of its National Executive Council, the highest decision-making body of the party after annual conference.
On Wednesday, general secretary of the PNP, Peter Bunting, told The Gleaner that the party would ask both Troupe and Reid to "step back" if they are charged by the police.
"If these councillors are charged, and in the case of the deputy mayor, then he would be asked to step back from that position and both would be asked to step back from any position they have in the party," Bunting had said.
Troupe and his 21-year-old son Jevaughn are to appear in the Montego Bay Resident Magistrate's Court on Wednesday.
This follows illegal possession of firearm and ammunition charges slapped on both men by the police yesterday.
The 51-year-old deputy mayor of Montego Bay and his son were arrested on Wednesday during an operation conducted by the Lottery Scam Task Force in Granville, St James.
The police had earlier reported that an illegal gun, five motor vehicles, J$380,000 and US$10,000 were seized during the operation.
Troupe was re-elected on the PNP ticket in the March local government polls.
PNP councillor of the Salt Spring division, Sylvan Reid, who was also detained by the police in connection with the lotto scam, is yet to be charged by the police.