Hottest topics on the cocktail circuit
Hold your mouth
1. Some in the private sector are describing the recent comments by one of their own as unnecessarily alarmist and counterproductive. They say, with the absence of data and trend to support the position, the old adage 'One swallow does not a summer make' should have been the guiding principle observed before making the pronouncement.
2. Word that the oligarchs who manipulated and controlled the creative industry have been sent out to pasture is being welcomed by many across the board. Among those voicing support for the ouster are the creative ones and collectors, as they say the oligarchs were stifling not just creativity, but output and access.
Paranoia at the office
3. Fear is said to be the reason behind the quiet exodus at one organisation, as the story by some senior staffers is that some of the offices of the corporate entity are not only bugged, but there are hidden cameras everywhere, recording the activities and conversations of senior employees. They say the bossman is growing more paranoid each day.
Storm in a teacup
4. Some are saying the criticisms are more about sour grapes than policy differences. And others are totally mystified by the storm in a teacup over the size of the delegation and the 'Hinglish' lesson. Many are asking what is the point being made here?
Ugly family feud
5. Friends say the old saying 'Like mother, like daughter' does not apply in this case. It's more a case of it being 'Like father, like daughter'. Others say, whatever the DNA make-up, she is a divisive and contentious interloper who is front and centre of the ugly family feud.
Shocked into silence?
6. One observer says, when Jackass said "the worl' nuh level", he never knew how correct he was. He says the deafening silence from the Jamaica Labour Party and others in the society, on the charges preferred against Member of Parliament Daryl Vaz, as against the hullabaloo raised, and the chorus of calls for their resignation or expulsion, when two People's National Party councillors were arrested over in Montego Bay, is very instructive. He says there is clearly a case of selective morality at work here.