September will mark six months since the 2012 local government elections. Since those elections, do you know what your mayor/parish council has achieved?
Everton Fisher, St Elizabeth Parish Council
1. Cleaning of drains.
2. Painted the outside of the Black River Courthouse.
3. Dialogue and subsequent agreement with the vendors in the various town markets.
4. Bushing of the exterior of the Santa Cruz market that could harbour thieves.
5. Improve revenue collection across the parish by putting the commercial service manager on the road. This has increased the revenue slightly by collecting advertising fee, also cleaning up some of the old billboards.
6. The Roads and Work Department is looking out for areas where persons are building and
not submitting plans to council. We have stepped up our revenue in that manner.
7. Three and a half million dollars for Jamaica 50 celebrations from the resources of the council. Santa Cruz, Junction and Black River were cleaned and beautification was done in all the parish council divisions.
8. Initiated a business day in Black River as part of the Jamaica 50 celebrations.
9. Have begun talks with persons for garbage separation and recycling.
10. Collected garbage that was not been picked up by the regular garbage collection service for some period of time.
11. Some road patching.
12. Bushing of the roadways.
I am trying. I would assess myself as having completed a fairly effective job so far. I am visible and accessible to the people, and I have a good relationship with the councillors.