Hottest topics on the cocktail circuit
1. Some party insiders are saying that there are those within the 'Greenhouse' who are strongly advocating that their annual conference be cancelled this year. Story is that some fear a leadership challenge, while others say it's a case of lack of private-sector funding for the event.
Hold them responsible
2. After the JPS's visit to one inner-city community dominated by one party colour in mid-week, which saw several hundred illegal connections detected and disconnected under the watchful eyes of the security forces, some are asking that the political representatives of these communities be held accountable for leading the way in "rationalising" these illegal connections.
IMF and party
3. Some are saying the Opposition shadow spokesman on finance is a real "piece of work". They say his chastising the nine-month-old Government for not yet effecting an IMF deal, after his having failed to do so for 18 months, speaks to his belief that the PNP team is clearly superior to his!
4. Some are predicting fireworks at the upcoming Orange Festival. Word is many are chiding their party's top brass for not effecting more personnel changes in key ministries and statutory bodies, as keeping known political operatives in place, who are politically opposed to the Government, can only spell doom for policy implementation.
5. Secretly, he was dubbed the 'Grouch'. Now that his request for an extension has been denied, staffers and others are hoping that his replacement will see a return to civility and better service.
6. Some in the legal profession are saying the recent comments from one of their own questioning the independence and or competence of Caribbean jurists speak more to colonial mendicancy than anything else. They say the utterances would have been laughable, were it not for the fact that they received so much publicity.