FRAUD SQUAD investigators who have for months been probing the operations of the failed investment scheme, World Wise Partners, have turned over their findings to the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) for a ruling.
DPP Paula Llewellyn confirmed on Tuesday that her office received "several files pertaining to World Wise" late last month.
"Like with every file we get, we will go through them very thoroughly to determine if there is enough to mount a viable prosecution," Llewellyn said.
World Wise Partners has been accused of bilking investors out of hundreds of millions of dollars.
Difficult to prove
However, the former head of the Fraud Squad, Superintendent Colbert Edwards, last year indicated that "the language contained in the documents signed by investors will make it difficult for the police to prove any impropriety".
Like Cash Plus and Olint, World Wise Partners was one of several schemes the Financial Services Commission (FSC) labelled as unregulated financial organisations that lured investors with the promise of huge dividends.
However, World Wise began to crumble in August 2008 after the operators were served with a cease-and-desist order by the FSC.
This triggered a rush of civil suits as investors, locally and overseas, tried to recover their money.
Edwards confirmed during a Gleaner Editors' Forum last year that World Wise boss Noel Strachan has left the island.
But he said Jamaican law-enforcement authorities are prepared to use the Mutual Legal Assistance Treaty to have him returned to the island if it is found that he committed any impropriety.