Sat | May 26, 2018

Cop says colleagues shot victims in Boulevard abduction-murder case

Published:Tuesday | November 6, 2012 | 12:00 AM

Barbara Gayle, Justice Coordinator

The former policeman who is the main witness in the case against three lawmen charged with the murder of two men who were abducted from a plaza in December 2004 testified yesterday that he gave a statement to the police in May 2009 because he felt it was time to speak the truth.

He said the statement was given after he was re-arrested in May 2009 and placed at the Horizon Remand Centre.

"After being re-arrested on a matter I know I was not guilty of, I said it was time I speak the truth so I can clear my name," the witness told the 12-member jury in the Home Circuit Court.

He said he was first arrested in December 2004 but was released because he was not identified by any witness at an identification parade.

Assistant Superintendent Victor Barrett and constables Paul Edwards and Louie Lynch have been on trial since last week Monday for the murder of 20-year-old apprentice mechanic Kemar Walters, of Kitson Town, St Catherine, and 44-year-old blockmaker and shopkeeper Oliver Duncan, of Olympic Way, Kingston 11.

The Crown, represented by Dirk Harrison, senior deputy director of public prosecutions and Kerri-Ann Kemble, Crown counsel, is alleging that the men were abducted by policemen from a plaza on Washington Boulevard on December 23, 2004, and have not been seen since.

Stolen CR-V

The witness said after Edwards, Lynch and Constable Peter Silvera left with the men, he called Barrett twice to tell him that the men were taken away after they were allegedly found in possession of a stolen blue Honda CR-V. Barrett said he would speak with the policemen.

He said he had driven the Honda CR-V to about 100 metres from the office of the Organised Crime Investigation Division (OCID) in downtown Kingston when Barrett called him and said he should take the motor vehicle to a private place. He said he and a friend called Dawkins, who is otherwise called 'Showtime', went to Wareika Hills in the motor vehicle. Constable Lawrence Clayton followed behind him in a red Honda Civic motor car. While there, he said he got a call from one of the three policemen who had taken away the men, and he turned back and went in the direction of Port Royal. He met up with the three policemen who were still driving the white Toyota Corolla motor car in which they had taken Walters and Duncan. He said the policemen led the way to an abandoned area off the Port Royal main road.

He said he asked the men what happened to the two men and Edwards said that Duncan "got bright" and started saying he was not afraid to die so he had "to slam some shot inna him head".

Begging for his life

He said he asked about Walters, and Edwards said he was begging for his life but he had already seen too much so they shot him as well.

Edwards said they had to burn the Honda CR-V so gasolene was obtained and Edwards set it ablaze. They left for OCID where Edwards, Lynch and Silvera went into Barrett's office. Barrett came out later and addressed all five of them telling them not to mention the incident to anyone, not even Senior Superintendent Devon Watkiss. Watkiss was head of OCID at the time.

Clayton began to ask what kind of "foolishness" the men did and Barrett told him to relax.

The witness said that on December 28, 2004, he was contacted by Deputy Superintendent of Police Terrence Sancko.

The witness said he went to OCID and spoke to Barrett who said they would be asked to give a statement about the apprehension of the men but he (Barrett) would dictate a statement as to what they should write. He said on January 10, 2005, Barrett dictated a statement, and he and Edwards were present at the time. Barrett told them to write that they left the office at 1 p.m. on December 23, 2004, and went to Orange Street where they accosted a man who was driving a Toyota Tundra motor vehicle. He said the statement which Barrett dictated about what took place on that date was not true.

Supreme Court judge Horace Marsh is presiding at the trial.