Barbara Gayle, Justice Coordinator
The former policeman who is the main witness for the prosecution in the case of the three lawmen charged with the murder of two men who were abducted from a plaza in 2004 has denied suggestions that he was associated with criminal elements.
The witness, who was being cross-examined yesterday by defence lawyer Valerie Neita-Robertson, denied suggestions that he was a 'rogue cop'.
He told the court that he was too well trained to be and it was never in his nature to be a rogue cop.
The former policeman was testifying at the trial of Assistant Superintendent of Police Victor Barrett and constables Louie Lynch and Paul Edwards who have been on trial in the Home Circuit Court since last week Monday.
charged with two murders
They are charged with the murder of 44-year-old Oliver Duncan and 20-year-old Kemar Walters.
The Crown is alleging that on the afternoon of December 23, 2004, the men were handcuffed and taken away by Lynch, Edwards and another policeman. The men were apprehended when they were seen in possession of a blue Honda CR-V which was reportedly stolen. They have not been seen since.
The Crown is alleging that when the incident was reported to Barrett, he instructed that the policemen should not tell anyone about the incident.
The former cop on being further cross-examined admitted that when he left the force in 2008, he had a motor car belonging to the Organised Crime Investigation Division (OCID) and was driving it for six months without the authorisation of OCID. The witness acknowledged it was wrong of him to do that.
He denied suggestions by Neita-Robertson that he had a government-issued firearm in his possession when he left the force. He said he handed over the firearm at the Rockfort Police Station.
He said when he left the police force in 2008, he did not leave without authorisation. He said he went on vacation leave, then sick leave and after that he was pondering what to do. He agreed that when he was apprehended in 2009 in relation to the abduction of the two men, he was driving the OCID's motor vehicle. He said he was taken into custody by officers from the Major Investigation Task Force.
It was suggested to the witness that he was under surveillance up to the time he was taken into custody but he said he did not know about that.
Further cross-examination of the witness has been deferred to Monday.
Another witness will testify when the trial resumes today.