Downtown Kingston gets new vending areas
THE KINGSTON and St Andrew Corporation (KSAC) has designated more areas in downtown Kingston as vending zones.
Mayor of Kingston, Angela Brown Burke, last week received support for a resolution that will officially give vendors more space outside the markets to ply their wares.
The KSAC has also decided to take immediate steps to make the area known as 'Open Market', which is bounded by Pechon, Beckford, West and Barry Streets, available for additional vending spaces and parking where necessary.
Persons vending in areas not designated for that purpose will be prosecuted.
Brown Burke made the announcement days after the KSAC stepped up its revenue enhancement drive by visiting stores in downtown Kingston to ensure that they have paid the necessary fees and are conforming to the rules.
The new vending areas are:
- New Chapel Lane from Beckford Street to Spanish Town Road (ground provision);
- Pechon Street from Beckford Street to Spanish Town Road;
- West Street from West Queen Street to Heywood Street;
- Princess Street from West Queen Street to Heywood Street;
- Luke Lane from West Queen Street to Heywood Street;
- Matthew's Lane from Beckford Street to Heywood Street (eastern sidewalks);
- Heywood Street from Pechon Street to Orange Street;
- Beckford Street from West Street to Darling Street.