Tue | Apr 24, 2018

Warmington, JLP make peace

Published:Wednesday | November 21, 2012 | 12:00 AM

Gary Spaulding, Senior Gleaner Writer

Word emerging out of the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) is that embattled member Everald Warmington and the forces against him have kissed and made up.

Well-placed Gleaner sources say the show of new-found party unity will be on full display today at the JLP's Belmont Road headquarters.

A damage-control strategy was hammered out during the Standing Committee of the JLP at the party's headquarters on Monday night.

A joint press conference is scheduled to be convened today by the party leadership with Warmington in attendance.

This is in a bid to present a united front in the aftermath of last weekend's series of developments that began with an aborted injunction from Warmington infuriating members of the party hierarchy. JLP Leader Andrew Holness subsequently made a fiery presentation during the party's annual conference on Sunday.

What started out as an explosive meeting of the Standing Committee fizzled as members hesitantly resorted to a strategy designed to bring an end to the raging impasse involving Warmington and some senior members of the party.

A gag order has reportedly been imposed on all members of the Standing Committee.

"There is a news blackout on that," was the first response that greeted Gleaner queries.

Veteran politician Karl Samuda corroborated The Gleaner's findings.

"We have been asked not to say anything further on the matter in the public domain, but everything is working out just fine," was all Samuda would venture.

Asked about his take on the manner in which the dispute was resolved, Samuda was tight-lipped.

"There is no take. I can't comment on the matter," he said.

Even the usually vocal Audley Shaw, the deputy leader for Area Council Three who was caught in the midst of the injunction application by Warmington, was not willing to comment yesterday when he was approached.

"I have no comment to make at this time as we are resolving issues internally," said Shaw.

An insider asserted: "I think it is working out. I am happy with the response and the leader is watching developments closely."

However, not all members have embraced the plans that were fleshed out at the meeting.

"They have kissed and made up. I would like to see how long that will last," said an obviously sceptical member, who found Warmington's conduct unforgivable.

Vaz not at meeting

Daryl Vaz, who had on the weekend declared he would not attend any meeting at which Warmington was present, except in Parliament, said he had no comment as he was not in attendance at Monday night's Central Executive meeting.

In the meantime, Deputy General Secretary Arthur Williams yesterday took to social network Facebook, where he decribed the atmosphere at the weekend conference as "so tense that you could cut through it with a knife".

He said: "The meeting was proceeding in a direction which would see three deputy leaders not being elected. I referred to the breaches of the Constitution which the general secretary outlined, and proposed a resolution which would see the highest decision-making body of the JLP, while recognising the breaches, mandate that the election of the three deputy leaders proceed."

Williams added: "That was unanimously accepted. It eliminated the tension in the atmosphere and contributed to a good conference thereafter. What do I get for that? Abuse, abuse and more abuse. Is it really worth it?"