Thu | Aug 25, 2016

Angry parent

Published:Tuesday | November 27, 2012 | 12:00 AM

Q. I get so angry at my children sometimes and I feel that it is either I must express myself or hold it in. I tend to more express it. Is this wrong?

A. There is another way. You can reduce your anger by changing how you think about a situation that has occurred instead of expressing yourself or not. Look at the situation that has occurred and ask yourself if you should allow yourself to be angry or if you can think of ways in which you can stop the problem from happening again or not make it anger you.

Depressed mother

Q. My mother has been diagnosed with depression. I am at college and I worry about my siblings who are 15 and 17. What can I do to help?

A. Keep in touch with your mother as often as you can. Encourage family members to be positive around her. Remember, your successes will make her feel better also. Do the best you can so she will be motivated by you. Always pray for your mother and family.


Q. What is self-talk?

A. This is when you tell yourself things. It will involve your thoughts and realising what is going through your mind before you act. You can use positive words to encourage yourself as you make logical, useful and reality-based decisions.

Orlean Brown-Earle, PhD, is a child psychologist and family therapist. Dr Brown-Earle works with children with learning and behaviour problems throughout the island and in the Caribbean. Email questions to or send to Ask the Doc, c/o The Gleaner Company, 7 North Street, Kingston. Responses to concerns are to be considered as general, as cases shared with psychologists privately would be queried more deeply. Pray always!