THE GOVERNMENT has already forked out $233 million to thousands of persons across three eastern parishes whose houses were damaged during the passage of Hurricane Sandy in October.
Permanent secretary in the Ministry of Labour and Social Security Alvin McIntosh, who made the disclosure on Wednesday, said the Government has provided another $400 million that will be disbursed to thousands of other victims by the end of the month.
Shortly after the Category One hurricane did extensive damage to the eastern end of the island, the Government announced that it would provide cheques valued at between $30,000 and $60,000 each to victims mainly in St Thomas, Portland and St Mary.
McIntosh said an investigation conducted by the ministry was completed last week. He said it revealed that just over 15,000 people suffered varying degrees of damage to their houses during the hurricane.
McIntosh, who was updating the Public Administration and Appropriations Committee of Parliament on the relief efforts, said just over 5,000 persons have already received cheques.
FATE OF THE REMAINING CHEQUES
By the end of the month, he said, the remaining 10,000 victims should get their cheques.
McIntosh warned that the ministry has put measures in place to ensure that there are no duplications and that the funds are used for their intended purpose.