As Christmas draws nigh, shoppers have stepped up their game, hitting the malls in earnest. But before you make one more swipe or even unlock that ABM door, diGJamaica.com has a list of tips that shoppers should bear in mind this season.
1. Your first line of defence in the virtual world begins with your password, or personal identification number (PIN). Keep your passwords and PINs a secret. Keep them to yourself, and remember them without writing them down.
2. Do not leave your ABM transaction receipts behind at any vendor or machine. Take them with you.
3. Be careful when making purchases over the phone. Only give out information like your name, address and especially your credit card number if you are sure and can verify with whom you are communicating.
4. If your card is lost, stolen or is retained by an ABM, notify your financial institution immediately. Most institutions offer toll-free telephone numbers and/or 24-hour service for lost or stolen cards.
5. Keep abreast of all the new tricks that scammers are using so you can avoid those pitfalls.