Samuels accused of throwing in Big Bash

Published: Sunday | December 23, 2012 Comments 0
Samuels ... former Australian batsman Darren Lehmann unhappy with his faster ball. - File
Samuels ... former Australian batsman Darren Lehmann unhappy with his faster ball. - File

MELBOURNE, Australia (CMC):

Brisbane Heat coach Darren Lehmann has sparked controversy in the Australian Big Bash League by accusing West Indies all-rounder Marlon Samuels of throwing.

His criticism follows the Heat's six-wicket loss to Samuels's Melbourne Renegades at Docklands Stadium here yesterday.

"I've spoken to the umpires about it. I just want something done," an upset Lehman complained.

"He couldn't bowl in the IPL (Indian Premier League) last year, yet he can bowl in the BBL. We've got to seriously look at what we're doing. Are we here to play cricket properly or what."

Samuels, bowling his rigid off-spin, opened the bowling and sent down four tight overs for just 18 runs, helping to strangle the Heat and restrict them to 133 for eight after they opted to bat first.

Renegades then chased down their target with five balls to spare, with Samuels making just 15 from 18 balls.

Lehmann, who played 27 Tests and 117 one-day internationals for Australia between 1996 and 2005, said he was particularly concerned by Samuels' faster ball.

"If he's deemed legal, I'm totally understanding of that. But from my point of view from 20 years [of] cricket, I've got a problem with 120 kilometres per hour off no steps."

No comment

Renegades coach Simon Helmot said he would report Lehmann's comments to Australian cricket authorities.

"I'm not going to make a comment on that claim. It's up to the umpires to make a decision on the legitimacy of actions," Helmot said.

"It's disappointing to have comments made like that. We'll take it up with Cricket Australia tomorrow."

Playing for Pune Warriors in the IPL earlier this year, Samuels was reported for a suspect action by umpires, with his notorious faster ball coming under special scrutiny.

Samuels had been also reported four years ago and barred from bowling but was subsequently cleared by the International Cricket Council last year.

Share |

The comments on this page do not necessarily reflect the views of The Gleaner.
The Gleaner reserves the right not to publish comments that may be deemed libelous, derogatory or indecent. Please keep comments short and precise. A maximum of 8 sentences should be the target. Longer responses/comments should be sent to "Letters of the Editor" using the feedback form provided.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Top Jobs

View all Jobs

Videos