Thu | Apr 26, 2018

Lion spoil Boys' Town's Christmas party

Published:Monday | December 24, 2012 | 12:00 AM
Humble Lion's Omando McLoud (left) looks to control the ball ahead of Boys' Town Carlos Wright during the Red Stripe Premier League football match at Collie Smith Drive yesterday. The match ended 2-2. - Ricardo Makyn/Staff Photographer
Boys' Town's Oneil Thompson tackles Humble Lion's Fabian Pascoe during the Red Stripe Premier League football match at Collie Smith Drive yesterday. The match ended in a 2-2 draw. - Ricardo Makyn/Staff Photographer

Ryon Jones, Staff Reporter

After the high of beating neighbours Tivoli Gardens last week, Boys' Town returned to the low of failing to win at home, as they played to a 2-2 draw with Humble Lion at Collie Smith Drive in their 19th round Red Stripe Premier League football encounter yesterday.

Boys' Town's goals were scored by Daemion Benjamin (51st) and Xavian Virgo (78th), to cancel out strikes from Humble Lion's Jermaine Christian (third) and Mark Miller (74th).

This was the first game in which Humble Lion were dropping points since coach Geoffrey Maxwell took charge of the Clarendon-based outfit three games ago, to see them close out the year 10th in the 12-team standings on 23 points.

After winning the first end-of-round final, Boys' Town have endured a miserable second round, as they have won only one game in eight attempts, to garner a paltry five second-round points, with only Savannah (zero) worse off. Boys' Town (27) entered the match in seventh position overall on 26 points.

Boys' Town's coach, Andrew Price, was left very disappointed with his team's effort.

"We are playing back here at Collie Smith for the first time in a long while and we wanted to give the home supporters a victory to end the year and we weren't able to do it," Price lamented."We looked very lethargic, there was no urgency here today and it was as if they were on Christmas holidays early."

Humble Lion, buoyed by their third-minute goal, which came about after Christian ran through the heart of Boys' Town's defence and fired past custodian Kirk Porter, enjoyed the better of play in the first half.

Boys' Town came out hunting an equaliser in the second stanza and were rewarded in the 51st minute when Benjamin neatly controlled a ball with his back to goal, before turning and firing home.

Despite pulling the Red Brigade level, it took a mere six minutes for Benjamin to turn villain, as he sent a 57th minute penalty kick sailing over the crossbar. It was the central midfielder who had earned his team the spot kick when his attempted cross from the right side of the area was adjudged to have been handled by Humble Lion's Omando McLoud. Boys' Town captain, Michael Campbell, who is the usual penalty-taker, handed the ball to Benjamin, much to the bemusement of Price.

Poor judgment

Porter then had, what is becoming a far too common moment of poor judgment in the 74th minute, when despite having defenders present he came out for a ball and was beaten to it by Miller, who headed into the unguarded net.

Boys' Town earned themselves a share of the points when Virgo beat Humble Lion's keeper, Garth Heron, with a near-post header from a right-sided corner delivered by Campbell, to leave Maxwell a disappointed man.

"I thought we should have taken the three points," Maxwell said. "I thought we played a good first half, but (in the) second half we just shut ourselves down."