Sun | Aug 28, 2016

My husband is overprotective of our son

Published:Tuesday | January 8, 2013 | 12:00 AM

Q My husband has decided that he must sleep in the room with our two-year-old son each night from about 2 a.m. onwards. We are both in our 40s and this is our first child. He is so overprotective of the child. How can I tell him that this is ridiculous?

A.  It seems that your husband is still very excited that you both finally have a child. You can share with your husband that he can use a baby monitor or video camera to monitor his son's room. Sit down with your husband and share with him how you feel about the situation.

Dealing with GSAT stress

Q Grade Six Achievement Test (GSAT) anxiety is here again. I feel that the teachers at the schools make the children more anxious than parents. I heard a child at a school telling another child that if he passes for a junior high school he is dunce. Is there any way that the Government can help parents and teachers be more sensitive about this exam?

A. We can ask the guidance counsellors and school officials at PTA meetings or specific GSAT parents' meetings to guide adults to not to judge their children or anyone else's child's future based on GSAT results. This is simply one phase of a child's life and some children who are late starters may do better than children who got high scores, later down the road.

Child with reading problems

Q. Can you give some tips on helping a child who has reading problems?

A. The first thing that must be done is that the child must be tested to determine if the child has any medical problems such as vision or hearing. Having been tested by a medical doctor, the child should then be tested by a reading specialist or psychologist. Then, an individual who is trained in the teaching of reading to children with special needs should be sought to provide the child with the specific reading-skills tutoring.

Orlean Brown-Earle, PhD, is a child psychologist and family therapist. Dr Brown-Earle works with children with learning and behavioural problems throughout the island and in the Caribbean. Email questions to or send to Ask the Doc, c/o The Gleaner Company, 7 North Street, Kingston. Responses to concerns are to be considered as general, as cases shared with psychologists privately would be queried more deeply. Pray always!