Wed | Jun 20, 2018

Savannah fight back against Boys' Town... Strugglers split four goals in wasteful display

Published:Monday | January 14, 2013 | 12:00 AM
Savannah's captain Adrian Robinson (right) challenges Oneil Thompson of Boys' Town for the ball during a Red Stripe Premier League game at Collie Smith Drive yesterday. Robinson scored both goals for Savannah in the 2-2 draw. - Ian Allen/Photographer

 Marc Stamp, Gleaner Writer

Savannah came from two goals down to claw a 2-2 draw against Boys' Town in an early Red Stripe Premier League kick-off at Collie Smith Drive yesterday.

The home team were made to rue their many squandered goalscoring opportunities, particularly an early penalty that was wasted by captain Michael Campbell.

Despite that miss, the Red Brigade raced to a 2-0 lead through goals from defender Wayne Ellis and hit man Rafiek Thomas.

The host controlled much of the early exchanges through Renae Lloyd, Garfield Gillespie, Marvin Morgan and Rafiek Thomas, but could not make their efforts count after some poor finishing, particularly Campbell's skied penalty attempt after a handball in the box.

Ellis settled Boys' Town nerves when he headed past Savannah goalkeeper Christopher Louden with 50 minutes on the match clock.

close-range goal

The hosts increased the lead when Thomas hit a shot from close range beyond the reach of Louden, pushing his goal tally to eight.

Sitting on a two-goal advantage, the Andrew Price-coached Boys' Town wasted even more chances, keeping the visitors in the game.

With time running out the Westmoreland-based outfit fought back courtesy of a double strike by their captain Adrian Robinson.

Robinson triggered the comeback by expertly converting a penalty in the 81st minute after a Boys' Town defender committed a foul inside the 18 yard area.

Eight minutes, later Robinson struck again when he headed past Boys' Town goalkeeper Kirk Porter to the delight of his teammates and a handful of supporters, who made the long trip from Westmoreland to Kingston.

Robinson's second goal set up a tense finish as Boys' Town searched for a winner, but Savannah defended well.

Boys' Town, which won the first-end-of round final last November, have been struggling in this round and the draw against the bottom of the table team, Savannah added to their troubles.

savannah still in danger

On the other hand, newcomers Savannah, who started the season on a high note with three straight wins, were picking up their 12th point in 21 games and continue to stare down the barrel of relegation.

After the game, an obviously disappointed Price blamed his team for an undisciplined approach to the game.

"It was poor discipline. Just poor discipline in the last 20 minutes of the game, we got too many chances and we were not clinical in front of goal. It came back to haunt us," said Price.

"We asked players to go out there and settle down the game, but they didn't do that. We were very loose in the end and Savannah rallied for a draw. The team was totally undisciplined and now it is a further set-back to our title ambitions," he lamented.

Meanwhile, Savannah's coach, Everton Tomlinson commended his team's fighting spirit throughout the encounter.

"It is a great feeling to see them fight, although we should have been 2-0 up from the first half, but coming from two nil down and with the introduction of the substitutes, we showed guts and came back," Tomlinson said.

"It has been a long drought for us, having not win since September. But today (yesterday) we came with a weak bench, as we tried to get some players registered last Friday, however that didn't happen. It set us back, but we're happy to leave here with a draw," Tomlinson added.


Boys' Town 2
Savannah 2

Sporting Central 0
Harbour View 2

Waterhouse 1
Tivoli 1

Arnett Gardens 1
Montego Bay 0

Portmore 2
Highgate 0