Tue | May 23, 2017

How can this help my child?

Published:Friday | January 18, 2013 | 1:00 AM

Q.  I am an angry parent. I heard that you advocate for children, can you help me. I am a parent whose child is in a primary school. My child is not very good with reading. I went and asked the school to get her some special help. They told me they had a reading teacher, but my child only goes two times a week. How can this help my child?

On top of that, the teachers at the school are selling everything out of their bags. I found this out after I asked my child if she had a pencil, she told me that she will buy one from the teacher at class. Is this what happens to poor people's children?

A Many times our schools have one or no reading specialist. The school may be doing the best it can. I recommend that you have a meeting with the reading teacher and ask him or her to how you can help your child at home daily. With regard to the selling of school products by teachers, my research has shown that this is not acceptable. Most schools have one area such as the tuck shop or bookstore where items are sold. You may recommend that you school does this to stop problems such as theft, which may arise from such practices.

Out-of-date cursive?

Q. My child's teacher is teaching cursive writing from the old-school style with lots of loops on the letters. Can I mention to him that this is out of date?

A It is quite okay for a child to learn many writing styles. Some schools will teach the different styles of cursive and the children choose which they are more comfortable with. You can share your thoughts with the classroom teacher. Please do so in a manner that will not make it seem as if you are telling the teacher what to do.

Do the high schools have school nurses?

Q. My 12-year-old child has returned from the United States of America with a medical problem. I cannot homeschool her as I have to work to pay all the bills we have stacked up. Do the high schools have school nurses?

AMost, if not all, high schools will have a school nurse. You should go to the regional office for education that is responsible for your parish and speak with the guidance counsellor-education officer. This individual will guide you to the school or facility that will best meet your child's needs.

Orlean Brown-Earle, PhD, is a child psychologist and family therapist. Dr Brown-Earle works with children with learning and behaviour problems throughout the island and in the Caribbean. Email questions to helpline@gleanerjm.com or send to Ask the Doc, c/o The Gleaner Company, 7 North Street, Kingston. Responses to concerns are to be considered as general, as cases shared with psychologists privately would be queried more deeply. Pray always!