Sat | Jul 21, 2018

MBU in KO semis after 3-1 win

Published:Friday | January 18, 2013 | 12:00 AM
Norwood midfielder Shawn Gayle comes under pressure from Reggae Youths' Leslie Foster in their St James FA KO match on Wednesday at Jarrett Park. Reggae Youths won 4-2 on penalties. - Paul Clarke Photo

Paul Clarke, Gleaner Writer

Western Bureau - Two goals in two minutes and one in injury time lifted high-flying Montego Bay United (MBU) to a 3-1 win over city rivals Wadadah FC in the quarter-finals of the St James FA Captain's Bakery and Grill Knockout on Wednesday.

Reggae Youths also advanced to the last four after stopping Norwood Strikers 4-2 on penalties.

Ladale Richie opened the scoring in the 49th minute for MBU after the clubs went into the break at 0-0.

The break seemed to have benefited Dean Weatherly's MBU more, and Winston Wilkinson effectively ended any hopes of a comeback from Wadadah when he pounced to score in the 51st minute.

Wadadah tried to break the more disciplined MBU defence but struggled inside the final third, although coming close on a few occasions to pull a goal back.

They eventually found the back of the net through a Mario Swaby strike in the 81st minute, but they fell agonisingly short of a comeback when Bahamian Lesley St. Fleur put the result beyond doubt by scoring in injury time.

Good form

United are enjoying a good run of form to be joint leaders in the second round of the Red Stripe Premier League, and the difference between the two long-time rivals was on full display in front of a fair-sized crowd, which reminded of the days when Wadadah and MBU (formerly Seba United) traded punches at Jarrett Park.

Norwood had themselves to blame for not claiming victory against the slick-moving Reggae Youths, having missed three clear chances to score in the first half and a further two in the second half.

The Oscar Irving-coached Reggae Youths also had their chances and should have put the game on ice from as early as the 30th minute when a stinging shot from inside the area was tipped around the upright by Wilton Shaw in the Norwood goal.