Christopher Thomas, Gleaner Writer
Councillor Sylvan Reid, who was facing an unlawful possession of property charge arising from an Anti-Lottery Scam Task Force raid in St James last year, walked away from the Montego Bay Resident Magistrate's Court a free man yesterday.
The charge against Reid, who is the councillor for the Salt Spring division in the St James Parish Council, was dismissed due to lack of evidence to support the charge that was laid against him.
"I knew I would have been vindicated, because I bought that TV legally," Reid told The Gleaner after he was acquitted. "If this is how the police will operate all the time when a person does not have a receipt (for purchased items), this is a sad day in Jamaica."
Reid was arrested on July 18, 2012 during an early-morning raid at his Cornwall Courts home by members of the Leon Clunis-led Anti-Lottery Scam Task Force. In what was a simultaneous raid at several locations across the parish, Montego Bay's deputy mayor, Councillor Michael Troupe, and his son Jevaugn Troupe were also arrested at their Granville home.
After a week in custody, the senior Troupe had all the charges against him dismissed. However, his son was convicted for a firearm and ammunition that were found in their home. He was sentenced to two years' imprisonment and fined $2 million.
In the aftermath of the dismissal of the charges against him, deputy mayor Troupe has filed a lawsuit against the Government, the commissioner of police, Clunis and two media houses, claiming they had defamed him.
However, unlike Troupe, when quizzed as to what is his next move, Councillor Reid did not indicate whether or not he intends to pursue any legal action against the State.
"What's next is that, I only wanted to get this over with so I could move on; I'm glad this is over so I can move on with my life and do the people's business," said Reid.