Wed | Sep 30, 2020

ST ANN - Service with a smile in St Ann's Bay

Published:Thursday | February 21, 2013 | 12:00 AM
Inland Revenue Department, St Ann's Bay. - photo by Carl Gilchrist

Carl Gilchrist, Gleaner Writer

Adding your married name to a tax registration number (TRN) card that was issued with your maiden name is relatively easy. So too is replacing a lost driver's licence.

Information about the two items came without difficulty at the Collector of Taxes, St Ann's Bay, earlier this week. It was a slow afternoon with around a dozen customers in the facility. Staff had time to exhale.

The young lady at the information counter was courteous without being overly so. She displayed a pleasant personality and was quite professional in disseminating the desired information.

She had just finished dealing with a client and motioned me to step forward. After I did, she asked how she may be of assistance.

I enquired about the process for a woman who wants to add her married name to her TRN card, which was issued prior to her marriage and bears her maiden name.

"Does she have her marriage certificate, the certified copy from the Registrar General's Department?" she asked.

I answered in the affirmative.

"She needs to bring that in along with her ID. If she has a passport with her married name, she could bring that," she continued.

She explained that the customer would be issued her number on a slip of paper that she would be able to use until the card is ready. Upon enquiring, she said the card would be ready to be picked up between six and eight weeks' time.

I thanked her for her assistance. She smiled and said, "You're welcome."

I left and went to the driver's licence section to report a lost driver's licence.

After waiting for a few minutes for the female attendant to finish dealing with a client, it was my turn to get attention.

"You may come," she motioned to me in a pleasant manner.

I approached the counter and after exchanging greetings, I enquired of her how to replace a lost driver's licence, explaining that a friend of mine had lost hers.

"There's a 'lost' form that she has to fill out. Do you want one to give her?" she asked. I replied in the affirmative.

"She has to bring it back so we can send it to Kingston," she said. She further explained that certain information that the licensee may not be able to recall could be retrieved from the information system at the office.

"When she returns the form, we will fax it to Kingston. The process takes about two weeks."

She remained pleasant. She asked if the licence had expired and I told her no. She explained then that it would cost $3,450 to replace after the information is received.

"She should need to bring an ID and a passport-size photo along with the $3,450," she said.

In September 2012, the Island Traffic Authority reported that it is issuing more than 1,000 substitute driver's licences per month, which was a 6,000 per cent increase since the police were removed from investigating claims of loss or stolen licences in 2007.